A filling is used to repair a tooth that is affected by decay, cracks, and fractures. The affected portion of the tooth is removed and filled with a filling.
There are many types of filling materials available. Silver fillings (amalgam), tooth colored fillings (composite), and glass ionomers.
Root Canal Therapy
This does not need to be a scary prospect! This actually helps alleviate a patients pain. A patient gets a toothache when the nerve of a tooth is affected by decay or an infection. In order to save the tooth, the pulp nerves (living tissue inside tooth), bacteria, and any decay are removed and the space is filled with a biocompatible material called Gutta Percha and a sealer cement to seal the tooth.
Root canal treatment is highly successful and usually lasts a life time if the tooth is cared for properly. On occasion a tooth may need to be retreated due to a new infection.
Signs and symptoms you may need a root canal.
- A pimple can form on the gums. This is an abscess/fistula, area of infection.
- Significant sensitivity to hot or cold.
- Toothache pain.
- Sometimes no symptoms or signs are evident at all and you find an infection on an x-ray.
- Swelling and or tenderness.
- Decay has gone into the dental pulp.