What is teeth whitening? It’s a mild bleaching process that removes stains and blends discolorations in teeth. The over the counter whitening solutions are typically not very effective or ADA approved. Our office uses two different types of treatment systems that are very effective in achieving nice results.
Whitening is safe if done properly and with advisement of your dental team.
Teeth can be different colors due to:
- Drinking coffee, tea, wine, or colas.
- Some antibiotics can stain when given during tooth development stages.
- Aging – the dentin underneath the enamel darkens with age so your teeth will look more yellow or gray.
- Tobacco use.
- Trauma from a car accident, sport incident, or any other traumatic tooth injury, can cause a tooth to die or darken
- Root canal therapy for a tooth can cause a tooth to darken in color.
Tooth whitening results can last up to a few years. Patients may choose to do “touch ups” on their teeth of they drink dark colored beverages or use tobacco. There may be some sensitivity from the whitening process but it’s usually temporary and subsides.